Alfajores (Small layered cakes)
250 grams ground almonds
300 grams butter
225 grams confectioner's sugar
rind of 1 lemon
vanilla and almond essence
1/2 pound of plain flour
1) Mix the butter with the sugar and essences.
2) Add the eggs one at a time.
3) Add the flour and the almonds and knead lightly.
4) Place dough in the fridge for about 35 min.
5) Flaten dough and then cut into small circles, cookie size
6) Bake for about 20 minutes on greased and floured baking sheets.
7) Take one circle and cover it in jelly, dulce de leche or melted chocolate
8) Then use another circle to close the alfajore. Its like making a sandwich.
9) The moist edges can be covered in shaved coconut.